As it turns out, they're SUPER easy to make! I used two sugar pumpkins, saran wrap, silica gel, some wet floral foam, and a mixed bunch of flowers from Trader Joe's. If you want to make one for your table (or to take as a hostess gift!), read on for directions.
- Hollow out the pumpkins. While you're scooping out the seeds, let the floral foam soak in water.
- Pumpkins tend to get rotten and mushy on the bottom (gross!) so I sprinkled some silica gel in the bottom of mine (that's the stuff that you might find in a little packet in the pocket of a new coat or in a box of shoes).
- Line the inside of the pumpkin with saran wrap before placing the floral foam inside. This creates a waterproof barrier between the foam and the pumpkin.
- Start arranging your flowers by sticking them into the floral foam. I place the bigger flowers first.
- Fill in the extra spaces with small flowers, berries, leaves, etc.
Tip: Floral foam isn't very forgiving. Once you place a flower in it, you've used up that piece of foam even if you take the flower back out. Plan your arrangement carefully!