Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Resolution Week: Go Screenless

We live in a world that's constantly connected. Between my computer, iPhone, iPad, kindle and television I get plenty of screen time. This year my New Year's resolution is to disconnect more frequently. Specifically, I'm going to unplug one night a week: no e-mail, texting, work-related calls, Facebook, Pinterest, or TV.

There are plenty of studies that suggest that less screen time can be beneficial. In 2013, a study published by the Public Library of Science showed that more use of Facebook equated to increased feelings of envy and less sense of well-being. Additionally, responses to National Geographic's True Happiness Test survey in 2011 suggested that the happiest people watch, on average, less than one hour of TV per day.

Even without statistics to back it up, I find that I'm more relaxed and focused when I have some time away from my computer. I enjoy my job and I love blogging, but you can't beat face-to-face quality time with real people or a little bit of time alone to de-stress and forget about the drama of the workday. I look forward to evenings filled with reading, games, conversation, and long walks through the neighborhood with my new puppy (arriving soon!).

What's your New Year's Resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment