I'll admit that I don't cook a ton of asian-inspired food, but we love take-out and I recently reinvented traditional fried rice using quinoa. It was healthy, delicious, and Neal-approved. Read on for the recipe.
What You'll Need:
1 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
Mushrooms (as many as you'd like!), sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
1 zucchini, chopped
3/4 cup frozen corn, defrosted
3/4 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1 cup of matchstick carrot slices
3-4 cups cooked quinoa
1-2 tsp ground ginger
5 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 Tsp Rice wine vinegar (optional)
1 Tsp Sesame oil (optional)
3 green onions, sliced
Sriracha for serving (this is my favorite part!)
- Cook the quinoa and set aside.
- Saute the onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil. I used two turns of the pan (about 2 Tbsp).
- When the onions and garlic are fragrant and translucent, add the mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, peas, corn, and carrots. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, fry the eggs until the yolk is firm and you can slice it into small pieces.
- Add the ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, quinoa, egg, and scallions to the veggies and mix well. Ta-da! Quinoa fried "rice" is ready to eat.
Note: I served my fried "rice" with a LOT of sriracha and some extra tamari soy sauce. It was super yummy and made for great leftovers the next day!