Brown butter makes everything sound fancier, and it also makes everything delicious! The nutty, caramel flavor of brown butter does wonders for baked goods (check out my brown butter snickerdoodle recipe), and it also makes wonderful Rice Krispie treats.
After a long day at work yesterday, I couldn't resist whipping up a quick batch of these salty, carmel-y, marshmallow-y delights. Today they're almost gone! They must be good...
What You'll Need:
1 package mini marshmallows (10 oz)
1 stick butter
5-6 cups Rice Krispies
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. It will start to foam. At this point, make sure you're whisking constantly so the butter solids don't burn. Continue cooking until the butter turns a chestnut brown color and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and immediately stir in the marshmallows. The heat from the melted butter should be enough to melt the marshmallows.
- Add the Rice Krispies and sprinkle in the salt (use a heaping 1/4 tsp).
- Mix well and then press the Rice Krispies into a greased baking dish. Some waxed paper or a silicone spatula should help you to evenly press the treats into the pan.
- Allow time for cooling, then cut up and enjoy!