|Martha Stewart's Cornmeal Berry Sheet Cake|
What You'll Need:
1 1/2 sticks butter, at room temp
1 1/5 cups GF flour (or all-purpose)
3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
18 oz fresh berries (try blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prep a 9x13 inch baking pan by lining it with parchment, allowing the parchment to hang over the sides. Butter the parchment.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar on high until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at the time and continue beating well. Add the vanilla and beat, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk and beating until just combined.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan, then sprinkle the berries on top.
- Sprinkle about 2 tbsp extra sugar of the top to make it sparkle and bake until golden brown. This should take about 1 hour.
- Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack, then use the parchment to remove the cake and cut it into slices.
- Whip some fresh whipping cream and serve with the cake. Enjoy!