Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Book Club: The Perfume Collector

Image by Caitlin McGauley, Pinterest
I've been going through my summer beach reads even more quickly than I anticipated, and I couldn't resist sharing my favorite one so far: The Perfume Collector.  The story weaves through two seemingly different tales: A 1920's maid-turned-muse explores the world and turns an ordinary existence into an extraordinary legacy, and a 1950's London socialite works to uncover the identity of her  mysterious benefactor.  I won't give anything away, but this book was one that I had a hard time putting down.

The power that scents have to trigger memories is a theme throughout the book, and it has made me more aware of my own emotional connections. I love the smell of Neal's face lotion- it reminds me of our first vacation together, laying on a beach in the Bahamas.  Similarly, I feel instantly summery and fun every time I spritz on Bond No.9 High Line. It reminds me of a warm summer night that I spent drinking grapefruit margaritas on the deck of my South End apartment with a big group of friends. Do you have a signature scent that evokes a special memory for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment