Thursday, July 10, 2014

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones


I don't typically post recipes that I haven't made, but I'm nearing the end of the Whole 30 and I'm starting to fantasize about re-introducing chocolate into my routine. I can't wait to wake up on Saturday morning and enjoy one of these scones with my morning coffee. Gina at SkinnyTaste.com hasn't let me down before, so I have confidence that they'll be absolutely delicious!

What You'll Need:
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups Gluten Free flour (all-purpose mix)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup chocolate chips
cooking spray
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tbsp sugar (for the sparkly topping)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Combine the buttermilk, sugar, vanilla and egg in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine.
  3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the chilled butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. 
  4. Fold the chocolate chips into the butter/flour mix.
  5. Add the milk mixture, stirring until just moist. 
  6. Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead slightly with floured hands.
  7. Form the dough into a 9 inch circle and place it on the baking sheet. Using a knife, cut the dough into 12 wedges. 
  8. Brush the egg white over the dough and sprinkle with sugar.
  9. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the scones are golden.
  10. Serve warm (with coffee or tea!). Enjoy. 

1 comment: