|Adapted from Ina Garten's Recipe|
What You'll Need:
3/4 pound butter
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
3 cups GF all purpose flour (I use Cup 4 Cup)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
For the icing:
1 pound cream cheese
3/4 pound butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar
- Allow all of your ingredients (even the eggs) to come to room temperature while you preheat the oven to 325 and sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set the dry mixture aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 1/2 tsp almond extract.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the butter mixture. Note: begin and end with the dry ingredients while alternating.
- Mix the ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in half of the coconut (the rest will be used for topping!).
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners and fill each cup to the top with batter. You should have about 20 cupcakes.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing them to wire racks.
- While the cupcakes cool, mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extract together for the icing.
- Carefully add the powdered sugar to the icing mix, tasting occasionally to make sure you've got it just right.
- Whip the icing until smooth, then use it to top the cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle the remaining coconut on top of the icing- this covers any imperfections and makes them look absolutely delicious!
I made these cupcakes as favors for a friend's bridal shower. They looked beautiful tied up in individual cupcake boxes with silk ribbon, but many of them got eaten before the guests left the event. They're too yummy to resist!