|This is another Barefoot Contessa winner!|
What You'll Need:
3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/4 cup (plus 2 tbsp) olive oil
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 2 large onions)
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 tsp (or a little more) crushed red pepper flakes
28 ounces canned whole tomatoes
4 cups fresh basil leaves
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 quart chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the halved tomatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread them onto a large baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 45 minutes.
- In a large stockpot, sauté the onion and garlic with 2 tbsp olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes. When the onions begin to caramelize and brown, add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including the liquid from the baking sheet, to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for at least 40 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (carefully since the soup is hot!), blend the soup until you have a smooth consistency. Some lumps are ok, but you don't want to spoon a whole tomato.
- Season to taste and enjoy (or freeze it if you're saving it for later).