Thursday, September 25, 2014

It's a Date

Image from Glamour.com
Many of my blog posts are inspired by real life, and although I'm not the one playing the field, this post is no exception. I don't consider myself to be an authority on dating, and I am sure that there's lots of other good advice out there, but I've been asked these two questions again and again:

Q: I went out on Friday with CuteWithBrownHair. We had a great time, but how do I know that he/she considers it a date?
A: My advice is that if you felt a spark, they probably did too. Did you want to linger over dessert all night and keep talking? Did he put his hand on the small of your back as he walked you to your car? There are no hard and fast rules for what classifies as a "date" these days, but if you had fun and are interested in seeing the other person again, make a move! Don't waste your energy over-analyzing the minute details of the experience, just go with it and enjoy the ride.

Q: I met a guy on InsertDatingSiteHere. On our first date, we split the bill, but it would have been more chivalrous for him to pick up the tab. Should I turn him down if he asks me out again?
A: When it's time for the bill in any scenario, things can get tricky. Often, we're quick to whip out our wallets and offer to pay. If you offered to pay or split the bill and he accepted, then don't hold it against him! Perhaps he picked up some feminist vibes and didn't want to insult your fierce independence. Or, maybe he just didn't want to argue over the bill on the first date. Again, don't waste your energy over-analyzing the minute details. If you liked him and had a great time, then say yes when he asks you out again. Next time, if you really don't feel that it's appropriate for you to pick up the tab, then don't offer in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment