Let's be honest- cheese fries are delicious. Every time I see them on a menu, I'm tempted, but this recipe from skinnytaste.com is probably better (and healthier) than what you'll get at your local pub.
What You'll Need:
2 potatoes, washed and dried (skin on)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin
Sprinkle of kosher salt and black pepper
1-2 slices center cut bacon, cooked and finely chopped or crumbled
1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp diced scallions
2 Tbsp pickled jalapeño slices
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment and spray it with cooking spray.
- Cut the potatoes into french fry-size slices, then toss them with the olive oil and spices until they're well-coated.
- Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake them for 25 minutes or until crisp. Make sure to flip them once during cooking, and if they're not crispy after 25 minutes, let them go a little longer!
- Remove the fries from the oven and smother them with the cheese, bacon, scallions and jalepeno slices (Note: if you prefer, you can transfer them to a smaller oven-safe dish before covering them with cheese... this makes presentation easier if you're sharing!). Return the pan to the oven for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt and bubble.
- Serve the fries with low fat buttermilk ranch or a side of reduced-fat sour cream. Enjoy!