|Braised Chicken and Sauerkraut, from Martha Stewart Living|
What You'll Need:
3 1/2 pounds chicken legs
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, halved and cut into 1/4 in. slices
3 large carrots, peeled and grated
4 cups store-bought sauerkraut
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Season chicken on all sides with salt while you heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook just until browned (about 4-5 minutes on each side).
- Remove the chicken to a plate, then add the onion to the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, allowing the onions to soften. Make sure to scrape up all the browned chicken bits... it adds extra flavor!
- Remove the pan from heat and add the sauerkraut and carrots. Stir until combined.
- Transfer the sauerkraut mixture to a 9X13in baking dish, then nestle the chicken legs throughout. Cover the pan with parchment lined foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, turn the heat up to 425 degrees and continue to bake the chicken for about 10-15 minutes, until the tops are dark brown and caramelized.
- Serve immediately with boiled potatoes, dumplings, or the other side dish of your choice. Enjoy!