|Cauliflower Chowder from Damn Delicious|
I had a different post in mind for today, but I made this Cauliflower Chowder recipe from Damn Delicious last night and it was so good that I had to share it! This creamy soup is healthy, full of vegetables, and tastes great with a sprinkle of bacon on top. What's not to love?
What You'll Need:
4 (or more) slices of bacon, diced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup GF All Purpose Flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup 2% milk
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnish
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Allow it to drain on a paper towel while you prepare the chowder.
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat the butter over medium heat, adding in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies start to get soft.
- Add the cauliflower to the pot and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir until browned. You're making a bit of a roux here.
- Add the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Bring the chowder to a boil, then simmer on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- When the cauliflower is tender, you'll know the soup is done. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then top with crumbled bacon and a sprig of fresh parsley.
Note: You can always add a bit more milk or chicken broth to the chowder if it gets too think. Additionally, if you'd prefer a smoother consistency, you can run an immersion blender through the chowder, blending in some of the larger vegetable pieces.