Monday, October 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Prep: Spatchcocked Turkey

The finished product.
Halloween is this week, but I'm already thinking ahead to Thanksgiving. Turkey is the centerpiece of any Thanksgiving meal, but it's also the reason you have to wake up early and preheat your oven.  A dear friend of mine (who, by the way,  really knows his way around a kitchen) suggested that I test out a new cooking method in preparation for turkey day: Spatchcock Cooking.

Roasting a turkey for a crowd takes hours, and, unless you have the perfect brine and a great meat thermometer, it can result in uneven cooking or dried out meat. A spatchcocked turkey has the spine removed and is pressed flat so that the meat cooks and browns evenly in a fraction of the time. I tried it this weekend and had a beautiful, juicy turkey ready for dinner in less than 60 minutes.

My Turkey, splayed out flat and ready for the oven...

If you're brave enough to wield a sharp pair of poultry shears and de-bone a turkey, watch this quick guide:


I kept my turkey simple, brushing it with olive oil and generously seasoning it with salt and pepper before roasting it.  Some pan-roasted root vegetables made for the perfect side dish, and I'm looking forward to some leftovers for lunch today!

Brussels sprouts, parsnips, carrots, and onions made for a perfect side dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment