Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Beauty Buys: Spend vs. Splurge


I am a sucker for fancy shampoo and luxurious face products, but I don't think that every beauty product necessitates a splurge. Here are some tips for keeping your budget in check while still reaping all the beautiful benefits of spendy products:
  • Save on eye makeup remover. This isn't an expensive product anyway, but I find that the generic drugstore versions work just as well at removing mascara and eyeliner as their $25 department store counterparts. 
  • Spend on an amazing face moisturizer and/or night cream. Having well-hydrated skin will give you that coveted "glow" and it helps combat the signs of aging. I use Bobbi Brown Protective Face Lotion during the day and Hydrating Intense Night Cream while I sleep. 
  • Save on lotion and sunscreen for the rest of your body. I love Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula, which is a steal at just $5. Similarly, generic-brand sunscreen protects just like the fancy stuff and you won't have to feel guilty about reapplying as you bask in the sun. 
  • Spend on perfume. A signature scent is so chic, and a great bottle of perfume will last for a while. Pick a scent that you absolutely love and splurge a little! 
  • Save on nail polish. I rarely do my nails at home (I'm not great with a paintbrush), but when I need a quick mani/pedi, inexpensive nail polish does the trick. 
  • Spend on a great set of brushes. I've had my Bobbi Brown brushes for over eight years, and they're in excellent condition. With a little bit of TLC and regular cleaning, well-made brushes will be more cost effective in the long run. 
  • Save on eyeshadow. I have a huge collection of Bobbi Brown eyeshadows and cosmetics, but my favorite eyeshadow is actually a purple one (pictured) from Almay. Eyeshadow doesn't have to be pricey, and an inexpensive price tag means you can add a little more variety to the colors in your cosmetics case. 
  • Spend on shampoo. Drugstore versions might work for the first few washes, but eventually sulfates and other ingredients can wreak havoc on hair. Ask your hairstylist for some recommendations, and switch it up from time to time. The bonus: with high-end shampoos and conditioners, a little bit goes a long way, so your bottles should last for a few months. 
  • Save on body wash and soap. I picked up some citrus body wash at Trader Joe's for a mere $3 and it works just like any other soap, plus it smells delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment