Thursday, February 5, 2015

DIY Watercolor Mugs



I've been looking for a fun-yet-functional DIY project, and I stumbled upon this one on Pinterest. I love tea, so I made a beautiful watercolor mug for my afternoon Earl Grey at work. It was easy, kinda fun, and it would make a great valentine if you're still looking for the perfect gift!

Ready to try it? You'll need:

  • A white ceramic mug (I purchased mine at Target)
  • Nailpolish 
  • A tub of warm water
  • Toothpicks or a q-tip with the fuzzy end cut off 

Start by pouring a few drops of nail polish into the tub filled with warm water. I used two different colors, but you can use as many as you see fit. 


Quickly swirl the nail polish using a q-tip with the end cut off  (or a toothpick).  You need to work fast because the nail polish will begin to form a film on top of the water. 


Dip your mug into the water. I'd recommend avoiding the inside of the mug if you intend to actually drink out of it. If a little bit accidentally gets inside, quickly wipe it out. 


Remove the mug from the water and allow the excess polish to drip off. 


Dry your mug on paper towels for 3-4 hour. Then it's ready to use! If you're making a Valentine, consider filling the cup with tea bags, candies, or something fun. Then tie it up with a little note in a cellophane bag. So cute!


I decided to do a second mug, and if you're looking to make multiple versions of your watercolor masterpiece, here's a tip: get rid of you water and start fresh. You don't want any paint film lingering when you start your next mug. 


The finished product is pretty cool. Note that it's hand-wash only unless you decide to get super fancy and add an extra lacquer to the outside of the mug. 


No comments:

Post a Comment