I love the process of simmering a big pot of homemade marinara sauce on the stove for hours. It fills the house with an incredible aroma, and homemade sauce can't be beat, but sometimes there's just not enough time in the day! Next time you're under a time crunch or just looking for a delicious budget-friendly meal, try this one-pot pasta.
What You'll Need:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
8-10 oz pasta (your choice, but I chose GF spaghetti)
1-2 cups chicken stock
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 pinch oregano
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch coarse salt
1 6-8oz package of fresh spinach
Freshly ground black pepper
Grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until the onions begin to get translucent. Add a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock (hint: more pasta needs more liquid), and oregano, then bring the liquid to a boil.
- Put the noodles in the pot, stirring so that they're submerged. Cover and reduce the heat to low, simmering for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and stir to combine. Test the noodles to make sure they're done!
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove it from the heat and add the spinach. Stir until it becomes wilted.
- Allow the pot of pasta to sit for about 4-5 minutes. The flavors will meld and then it's ready to serve! Top with some freshly grated parmesan and black pepper- yum!
Tip: Neal (my resident taste-tester) liked this dish, but he thought it would be even better topped with some sautéed shrimp! Try yours with a little protein if you'd like- chicken would be excellent with this past too.