The onset of spring means fun in the sun, so it's time to incorporate a little something extra into your daily routine: sunscreen! I layer on the SPF daily, and I've tried several different formulas. Here's the run-down (from left):
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch: This fast-absorbing, non-oily formula is perfect for layering under your makeup. It doesn't have an overly sunscreen-y scent, and you'll barely notice it's there. However, one bottle doesn't go very far. If you're headed to the beach, you'll need to pack more than one.
- AvaSun: If you're looking for a safe, non-toxic formula, this one is for you! Full of organic essential oils and ingredients, this sunscreen goes on thick and is water resistant. Note that it does take a while to rub in, so you're at risk of looking a little pasty as it absorbs.
- Up & Up Sport Sunscreen: When you need to reapply liberally (read: you're spending all day poolside), this inexpensive spray on sunblock from Target is a winner. Stock up and use the handy spray to get to hard-to-reach areas. Just make sure you apply it very liberally and make sure it's even. You don't want a streaky sunburn (or any sunburn for that matter).
- Rodan + Fields Essentials: This is one of my favorite body sunscreen options. It contains antioxidants to absorb damaging free radicals and it's packed full of moisturizing ingredients. Swap it out for your body lotion in the summer to ensure your skin is protected.
- Coola Pina Colada Sunscreen Spray: This fun option has an incredible scent that transports you instantly to a tropical island. It's a little on the pricey side, and it might make you feel a little greasy if you're working out, but for a day lounging poolside it's divine.
No matter which sunblock you choose, make sure you apply it correctly! Here are a few tips from the American Academy of Dermatology: