|Cupcake Print from Society6.com|
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour (I use a GF blend)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
For the frosting:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into 2 inch chunks
1 2/3 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp milk
1tsp vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate and cocoa powder. In a saucepan, heat the granulated sugar, butter, and water over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally until all the ingredients are melted/dissolved.
- Pour the hot butter-sugar mixture over the chocolate-cocoa mixture and whisk until all ingredients are melted and combined.
- Whisk the egg, milk, egg yolk, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well mixed. Dump the flour mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and whisk the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture.
- Let the batter sit for 1 hour at room temp (or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days).
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing it evenly and filling the cups to the rim. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched with a fingertip.
- To make the frosting, whisk together the sugar and egg whites to make a thick slurry. Place the bowl over simmering water in a saucepan and heat, whisking occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes. It will thin out as the sugar melts.
- Remove the heat and scrape the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment. Whip on medium high speed for 6-8 minutes, or until the mixture becomes a light, white meringue.
- Turn dow the speed to medium and add the butter, a few pieces at a time. Beat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the confectioners sugar, salt, milk, and vanilla, and continue to beat on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and satiny.
- Use the frosting immediately or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you sorted it in the fridge, bring it to room temp and whip it again to smooth it out before you use it.
- Fit a pastry bag with a small round or star tip and fill it with frosting. Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake and serve ASAP!