Thursday, July 2, 2015

Lazy Girl's Weeknight Beef Bourguignon


When I grow up, I want to be just like Ina Garten. The Barefoot Contessa cookbooks are some of my absolute favorites- I haven't tried a recipe I didn't like! Although most recipes make food for a crowd, I've adapted some of my favorites for a smaller audience of two. This week, on a particularly rainy night, I whipped up what I like to call the "Lazy Girl's Beef Bourguignon" because it has a few shortcuts that are omitted from Ina's version. It's not exactly light and summery, but it will beat any pot roast you've ever made. Bonus: The recipe includes wine, which, in my kitchen, means you can indulge in a glass while you cook!

What You'll Need:
1 lb filet of beef
Kosher Salt
Black pepper
2 Tbsp good olive oil
Rendered bacon fat (or bacon, if you'd prefer)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup good dry red wine
1.5 cups beef stock
1.5 Tbsp tomato paste
1 sprig fresh thyme
1/4 pound pearl onions
1.5 cups of baby carrots, halved (you can cut up whole carrots if you have them)
1.5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp GF flour
1/2 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick



Directions:

  1. With a sharp knife, cut the filet crosswise into 1 inch thick slices. Salt and pepper both sides (be generous!).
  2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pan, salute the beef in the olive oil until browned on the outside but very rare inside. Then remove the filets from the pan and set aside. 
  3. In the same pan, saute the bacon if you're using it. I omitted this step because I already had some rendered bacon fat from breakfast. If you cooked the bacon, remove all but 2 Tbsp of fat from the pan and set the bacon aside. If you're making the "lazy girl" version like me, add a Tbsp or two of your rendered fat to the pan.
  4. Saute the garlic for a minute or two until fragrant, then deglaze the pan with the wine (on high heat!). 
  5. Add the beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. 
  6. The Barefoot Contessa recipe says to strain the sauce at this step. I skipped it, but I DID remove the sprig of thyme. 
  7. Add the onions and carrots to the pan and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until tender. If the sauce gets overly thick, add a splash of beef stock (or wine!).
  8. While the carrots and onions cook, saute the mushrooms in olive oil and/or butter (or a combo). They should be slightly browned and soft. 
  9. Add the butter and flour to the sauce/carrot/onion mixture and whisk until slightly thickened. 
  10. Add the mushrooms and beef slices (and bacon if you made it) to the pan. Cover and reheat for 5-10 minutes, but don't over cook! When it's done, serve immediately and enjoy. Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment