Thursday, July 16, 2015

Pack a Snack: Granola Bars


I try to pack my lunch most days, but no matter what I pack, I always crave a little something sweet around 3pm. Those mid-afternoon snack cravings are easily quelled by a tiny piece of candy, but a healthier treat helps me survive AND gives me the energy to make it to the gym after work.  This week I'm packing homemade granola bars. They were a huge hit with Neal, and since I made them myself, they don't contain any funky preservatives or ingredients.

What You'll Need:
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut

Directions:
  1. Line a baking sheet or 13X9 in pan with foil and preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Whisk the maple syrup, light brown sugar, and kosher salt together. Once the sugar is dissolved, stir in the olive oil. 
  3. Add the oats, pecans, pipettes, sunflower seeds, and coconut to the mixture.
  4. Spread the granola on the pan (pressing it flat) and bake it for about 45 minutes. 
  5. Remove the granola from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. 
  6. Slice the granola into bars and let them cool in the pan for another hour. 
  7. Using the foil, lift the mars out of the pan and transfer them to a cutting board. Carefully recut the bars following the original cuts.
  8. Granola bars can be stored at room temp for up to 1 week. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment