Thursday, January 14, 2016

Resolution: Decorate

Decorating our new house is high on my list of things to do in 2016. We started with the main living space, but our bedrooms needs a little something more.  Because the master bedroom is obviously the one we use most often, I'm starting there and tackling an area of the house that has really stumped me: the shelves!


We have these amazing floating shelves in the master bedroom, but since we moved into this house from a much smaller space, we really don't have enough "stuff" to put on them! I frequent the library and love my Kindle, so books aren't really an option. Plus, I want the shelves to contribute to the overall vibe of the room and feel like they were curated. 

I tried searching Pinterest for inspiration, and I've browsed almost every home store that you could imagine, but I didn't want to fill the shelf with just ANYTHING. So, I whipped out a pen and drew the end result. It's not perfect, but this picture has helped me to shop with a purpose. 


I've included a mix of botanicals, books, pictures, and decorative objects, and now that i have an "end" in mind, I don't feel pressured to go but it all at once. As I shop for other things and an item catches my eye, I'll purchase it and add it in.  I highly recommend this approach to decorating, and I think I'll use it as I tackle some of the other rooms too.

Another tip? Look to pictures in magazines, online, etc. to get inspiration. I love this article from Lonny Magazine on "Accessorizing with Flair". 

I still have a long way to go, but I've made a tiny bit of progress! I'm hoping that by the end of 2016 I'll have some before/after shots of ALL of the spaces I've decorated throughout the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment