Friday, January 15, 2016

Resolution: Make-Ahead-Meals

Eating healthier is a pretty popular resolution. The new year is a clean slate- you get to start fresh and create new habits for the next 365 days.  I feel like this is an area where Neal and I already do pretty good. I'm not going to kickstart a new diet or commit to eliminating a particular food group. Instead, I'd like to make sure that we do better at shopping and prepping food for the week ahead.

This is a tough one, but I'm committed to it because I find that I make healthier, more satisfying choices when I cook for myself versus visiting a local food truck for lunch (although I'll admit, food truck food and takeout definitely have their place... it's impossible to avoid them altogether!). Here are a few tips if you made a similar resolution this year:
  • Prep produce and meal ingredients on Sunday. This makes it easy to throw together quick week-night dinners. 
  • Soups and sauces can be made over the weekend. If you're not going to use them until later in the week, freeze 'em! I often freeze multiple portions because it's rare that we polish off an entire pot of soup in a week. 
  • Mason jars are your friend.  Mason jar salads are perfect for lunch at work, and because the dressing is on the bottom, the lettuce and veggies don't get soggy. Check out this recipe to get started. 
  • Don't forget snacks! We buy larabars and tiny bags of cashews to snack on during the week, plus I portion out baby carrots and other bite-sized goodies into snack bags so that we can just grab them and go. 


On the menu this week? Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Soup (recipe courtesy of Damn Delicious). This soup was surprisingly hearty and is full of good-for-you veggies... and bacon!


And speaking of bacon...Brady's New Year's resolution is to find the best snooze spots in the house. He didn't even move when bacon was sizzling on the stove! Oh to be a dog...

No comments:

Post a Comment