|Image from Pinterest|
What You'll Need:
1 can tomato paste
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
5 cloves garlic, minced
Chopped fresh parsley
Sugar, salt, pepper, dried oregano (to taste)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 yellow onion, diced
- Start with the sauce. In a heavy pot, add about 2 Tbsp olive oil. Once it's shimmering, add 3 cloves of the minced garlic. Simmer until it's golden.
- Add the can of tomato paste and cook it with the garlic for a few minutes, then fill the tomato paste can with water and add that to the pan.
- Add a dash of sugar, salt, pepper, and oregano. Less than a 1/2 tsp of each is all you need- just eyeball it!
- Add the larger can of tomatoes and about 1 cup of water. Reduce heat and simmer while you make the meatballs.
- In a bowl, add the ground beef, onion, remaining garlic, a sprinkle or two of fresh parsley, one egg, 1/2 cup grated parm and a palm full of breadcrumbs. Add a pinch or two of salt and pepper.
- With clean wet hands, mix the meat mixture until all ingredients are combined. Form 2 inch meatball shapes and drop them gently into the sauce.
- With all of the meatballs in the sauce, simmer for at 1-2 hours, allowing the meat to cook through.
- Cook and drain the pasta and add a bit of the sauce to the pasta to keep it from sticking. Serve with the meatballs and enjoy!
I'm going to whip up a simple green salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette and a nectarine and blackberry cobbler for dessert. We're kicking off the weekend with full bellies!