Tuesday, February 16, 2016

HitchSwitch


After getting married in September, it took me a few months to work up to changing my last name. I didn't necessarily intend on keeping my maiden name, but the process to change it seemed complex.

I used HitchSwitch  to kickstart things, and their helpful timeline and prepared paperwork made the basics quite easy. All I needed was my photo ID, my marriage license, and a few hours to wait in line at the social security office. Changing the name on your social security card should be your first stop, followed by a trip to the DMV to get a new driver's license. 

Tip: Before you do anything else, scan a copy of your marriage license... it will come in handy later!

After renewing my license, I mailed in the paperwork for a new passport. They require you to mail your marriage certificate in with your old passport, and it takes a while to get the original copy back, hence my hint above. 

According to my HitchSwitch checklist, the last "to-do" was to change my name on all of my credit card/ bank accounts. Your bank will make you come do this in person, and you'll need your new photo ID, but most credit cards simply require a call to customer service and some basic information. 


I was so excited when I had checked of the boxes, but my celebration was premature. We live in a world with so many virtual accounts, passwords, etc. and your name is on all of them! Often, it's not as simple as just logging in and changing your name- businesses want proof that you got married and that scanned copy of your marriage license will be your best piece of evidence. If you're working on changing your name, think about:
  • Frequent Flyer Accounts (I have a lot of these and they were a huge pain to change!)
  • Member Rewards Accounts
  • Health Insurance
  • Car Insurance
  • Magazines, Newspapers, and Other Subscriptions
  • Vehicle Title
  • School (If you will have a need for transcripts in the future, call your school's registrar and make sure your new name is added!)
  • Investment Accounts
  • Utility Accounts (Gas/Electricity/Water)
  • Fitness Studios
  • Voter Registration
  • Online Accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Hulu, etc.
  • Veterinarian/Pet Groomer
  • Doctor/Dentist
I'm still finding my maiden name on documents/accounts here and there, so this will be an ongoing process. With the social security card and driver's license squared away, at least it's official! 

No comments:

Post a Comment