Friday, February 12, 2016

Sweet Valentines

This week, I had every intention of whipping up a batch of sugar cookies and decorating them with some flood-consistency royal icing to make beautiful valentines like these:


But my efforts were stymied not once, but twice! I discovered that my heart-shaped cookie cutter was missing, and I ran out of meringue powder for the icing. Luckily, I was ready to improvise and the result was just as sweet. 

What You'll Need:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour (I used my GF blend)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
  1. Cream the shortening, butter, and sugar together. Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
  2. Stir the flour, baking powder and salt together in separate bowl, then add it to the wet ingredients. Mix well. 
  3. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. 
  4. Once the dough is chilled, turn it onto a floured surface and roll it to about 1/6" thin. Cut out shapes using your favorite cookie cutter and place the cutouts on a baking sheet lined with parchment. 
  5. Bake at 375 degrees for 6-7 minutes, then allow them to cool on a wire rack before decorating. 
Because my cookie cutter was MIA, I took a different approach: I formed a heart-shaped log of cookie dough and wrapped it in plastic wrap before refrigerating (step 3 above). Once it was chilled, I simply sliced the cookies. 


Although my hearts were not perfectly symmetrical, this was a much cleaner and efficient way of making sugar cookies. They still turned out cute!


I whippped up a quick batch of buttercream frosting (which tastes better than royal icing, in my opinion) and decorated with sprinkles that I already had in my cabinet. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment