We traveled through Phoenix, AZ last week on our way home from Tuscon, and were pleasantly surprised by this AMAZING salad that we enjoyed at Chelsea's Kitchen in the airport. It's so fresh and tasty- I couldn't wait to recreate it at home.
What You'll Need:
Brussels sprouts, shaved or shredded (I used two pre-shredded bags from Trader Joe's)
Dried berries- blueberries, cherries, and cranberries are a great mix
Toasted whole almonds, chopped
Manchego cheese, shaved using a peeler or sliced
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar, more as desired
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice with pulp
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 1/2 teaspoons whole grain mustard, more as desired
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
3/4 cup light olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the mustard vinaigrette first. Combine the honey, champagne vinegar, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, whole grain mustard, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. I was pretty heavy handed with the vinegar, mustard, and lemon juice, and it was delicious. Do whatever tastes good to you!
- Blanch the Brussels sprouts leaves in a large pot of boiling water, just until they are vibrant green and barely tender. This only takes 30 seconds to 1 minute- don't overdo it!
- Drain the leaves immediately and place them in a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Drain the leaves and dry completely.
- In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprout leaves, a handful of the dried berries, and a sprinkle of almonds with just enough vinaigrette to lightly dress the salad. You can always add more to taste.
- Plate the salad and top with Manchego cheese. Enjoy!