|Image and Recipe from FoodNetwork.com|
Although apple crisp is more synonymous with autumn than early summer, I'm excited to whip up the Barefoot Contessa's Apple and Pear Crisp later this week.
What You'll Need:
2 pounds ripe Bosc pears (4 pears)
2 pounds firm Macoun apples (6 apples)
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the topping:1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel, core, and cut the pears and apples into large chunks.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and add the zests, juices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch oval baking dish.
- Make the topping. Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mixing on low speed for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit, covering the fruit completely.
- Place the baking dish on a sheet pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Top the warm crisp with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream (I like Blue Bell) and enjoy!