Wednesday, September 14, 2016

New Routines

Having a bit of time off of work to bond with Henry has been such a treat.  We're creating new routines and I've been using my (limited) spare time to work on some fun projects that I had been putting off.

I read a great article on The Everygirl this morning on 20 Things You Can Do to Improve Your Life, and many of the items overlap with my list of maternity leave to-dos:

Make the bed. Image from Pinterest
  • Make the bed every morning. This seems like a silly item to include, but when you wake up to a crying baby and a dog that wants to go on a walk while your husband is rushing out of the house to get to work, it's no easy feat! This simple task is something that I did every morning pre-baby and it helps me to feel like our house is in order and tidy, even when it's really not!
  • Catch up with friends.  I've been carving out time for quick phone calls to catch up, FaceTime sessions so that friends can meet the baby, and even getting out during the day to meet local friends for a lunch break during their work day. These quick visits and phone calls have gone a long way towards staying connected, even during this time when my social life isn't super glamorous. 
Declutter and organize. Image from Pinterest
  • Declutter and organize the house. Nesting before baby arrives is definitely a thing, but I'm still working to declutter and organize. This weekend we're auditing our closet and I'm packing up my maternity clothes, but there are other projects on the list. It gives me something to fill downtime at home, plus it feels so good to know that we don't have a bunch of stuff taking up space in our closets/attic/etc. 
  • Try a new activity. I love to cook, so I guess this isn't really a NEW activity for me, but while I'm hanging out with Henry at home I've been cooking my way through a new cookbook. We also started taking a mom & baby yoga class, which is quickly becoming one of the highlights of my week. Experiencing new things leads to a renewed energy and increased productivity and creativity- everyone needs a little boost like that once in a while!
Break a sweat. SoulCycle image from Pinterest
  • Break a sweat every day. Exercise during pregnancy made me feel like I was on top of the world, and I'm trying to continue breaking a sweat each day, even if it's just for 30 minutes. In the words of Elle Woods, "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy." This week I started a new Class Pass subscription, allowing me to venture out beyond Bar Method and morning runs. If you haven't tried it out, it's worth looking into. Click here. 
  • Be present. I'm a multitasked through and through, but sometimes you need to focus on the task at hand. Especially now that I'm trying to set an example for a little one, I'm limiting how I engaged with devices (iPhone, tablets, TV, etc), particularly during family time. We eat dinner together at the table with no interruptions, I feed Henry and spend the time looking into his eyes and talking to him, etc. It's nice to disconnect from the cyber world for short periods and reconnect with the real world!

No comments:

Post a Comment