Monday, November 14, 2016

Sweet Gestures

Gift Crate from Olive & Coco, Image via Oliveandcocoa.com
The holidays are quickly approaching, and gifting loved ones is definitely a holiday tradition. But what about all of those other "moments" throughout the year that deserve a little recognition? Small, sweet gestures go a long way. Here are a few ways to surprise and delight your friends and family members, even when gifts are not required:

  • Snail Mail. I love getting mail, but my mailbox is usually filled with bills and lame catalogs. A card or a letter from a friend really brightens my day, especially when it's unexpected. I like to keep this in mind and try to send the occasional note or small package to my friends. 
  • Gift Box or Care Package. When I was newly pregnant, I received the most amazing Olive & Coco gift box from a friend in Boston. It satisfied all of my  pregnancy snack cravings, but more importantly, it was such an awesome way for my friend to say "I'm excited for you!".
  • Send Flowers. Fresh flowers are great for special occasions, but there's no rule that you can't send a bouquet just to let someone know that you're thinking of them. 
  • Make a Meal. Picking up lunch for a friend who has been heads down on a big project or making a meal for a family with a new baby is so thoughtful. We were so appreciative of everyone who pitched in to make sure we were well fed during our first few weeks home with Henry, and I look forward to returning that favor. 
  • Be generous. This is a very generic statement, but I think about it in a few ways. You can be generous with your time- offer to help a friend finish their garden or paint their fence (not glamorous, but it's more fun with friends!). Or you can be generous with your money. If you see a bracelet that reminds you of a far-away friend, send it her way! See a candle that your sister would love? Pick it up!

It's so easy to get caught up in our own day-to-day lives and forget that our friends and family have big things going on too.  I'd love to hear other ideas for making someone's day a bit brighter!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment