Monday, December 12, 2016

White Christmas


I love wine, but for a long time I favored bold reds over whites.  I carried over an assumption from my college days (when I was not drinking very good wine) that whites were cloying and lacked the complexity of flavors that you'd find in a darker variety. Fast forward a few years to a business dinner with my boss at The Slanted Door in San Francisco- he ordered a German Riesling to pair with our spicy meal and it was AMAZING! Since then, I've expanded my wine-drinking horizons and have found several white wines that have become regulars in my wine fridge.

With Christmas quickly approaching, I wanted to share some of my favorite white wines with pairing suggestions:

Kung Fu Girl Riesling (2013): The name of this wine might catch your eye because it's playful and fun, but the contents inside the bottle are yummy too. The wine has a mineral flavor with just a hint of sweetness, making this a good option to pair with appetizers at your holiday party.

Ponzi Vineyards 'Aurora' Chardonnay (2013): Although "un-oaked" chardonnay has become trendy recently, I'm a huge fan of the buttery, caramel flavors imparted by aging wine in oak barrels. This particular bottle has a lot of complex flavors that would pair well with a pork roast or salmon.

Groth Sauvignon Blanc (2005): This wine is one of my absolute favorites. It's citrusy and clean,which makes it easy to sip all summer long, but it will also pair well with a variety of holiday foods. Pair it with your salad course, serve it up with fish, creamy pasta dishes, or even an herb-seasoned chicken or turkey with stuffing.


White wine is also a delicious accompaniment to Christmas cookies, which is one of the BEST parts of the season if you ask me. I had some girlfriends over to decorate cookies this weekend (Note: I made this recipe with GF flour and it was awesome), and we sipped champagne while we worked because bubbles pair perfectly with buttery sugar cookies. Here are a few other match ups with trying:
  • Snowball cookies and Pinot Grigio
  • Gingerbread cookies and Riesling
  • Snickerdoodles and Sauvignon Blanc
  • Butter cookies (or spritz) and Chardonnay
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment