|Image from nytimes.com|
What You'll Need:
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup full-fat cottage cheese
2 cups milk
1 tsp dry mustard
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg (I omitted this part)
1/2 tsp salt
Sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
1 lb extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 pound pasta (I used a GF elbow noodle)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and use 1 Tbsp of butter to grease a 9-inch round or square baking dish.
- In a blender, combine the cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese for topping, then combine the rest of the cheddar with the milk mixture and UNCOOKED noodles.
- Pour into the prepared pan, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle the mac and cheese with the reserved cheddar, and dot with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Bake for 30 more minutes.
- Once the top starts to get brown and bubbly, remove it from the oven. Let it cool slightly, then serve and enjoy!